Sunday, June 11, 2006

One of the positives from last week...


I started drinking more dairy! I am lactose intolerant, and have had soy milk for so long that I am just sick of it! So besides yogurt (the bacteria eats most of the lactose in yogurt, cool huh! And cos I'm not really extreme or anything I can handle yogurt fine, unless I go overboard...) and occasionally cheese, I was not having much dairy. Then, last week, I found a SKIM milk variety of the lactose free milk, and I decided to give it a go, and it's good! I tried the normal variety years ago and I didn't like it. It was too sweet and being the full fat one... Just wasn't so keen on that...

But now there is skim! It's awesome! Someone will probably tell me it has been around for years and it's just my area that has finally caught up, but I'm excited none the less. The excitement of actually having a glass of milk and enjoying it and not having to run to the bathroom shortly afterwards, oh it is BLISS!! (Every so often I would say "oh a little milk won't hurt" or "yes I'd love some ice cream" and my hubby and my friends would grimace cos the results are not pretty, and then I'd be good for 6 months, then do it all over again!)

So anyway, now I can definitely get ample amounts of calcium, and it's No Count, and I can happily ward of osteoporosis (rampant in my family!) and fight the fat as well! HURRAH!!

Oh and behind the milk is some yummy muffins from the WW favorites Cookbook. They are Breakfast Muffins, and they are yummy! They have yogurt and stewed apple and caramel topping in them... 1 point each! Don't mind if I do spend an extra point or two on them! My hubby loves them, and they are much better to have around than some slices etc that he would like to have baked! :)

Muffin recipe!

serves 6, 2 1/2 pts each
when I make them it makes 6 x 1 1/2 pts ones (for hubby)
and 7 x 1pt ones (which i get o eat most of... if i beat hubby... :)

seriously, the books 6 must be huge, mine are a good muffin size (they aren't the tiny ones!)

1 3/4 cups s/r flour
1 tbs caster sugar
100g reduced-fat artificially sweetened yogurt
1 egg
3/4 cup skim milk
1 cup canned pie apples (or stewed yourself!)
2 tbs low-joule caramel topping
2 tbs low-joule caramel topping, extra for serving

1. Lightly coat microwave-safe muffins pans or ramekin dishes with cooking spray
[I don't have a microwave, so just do them in the oven. So pre-heat to 180 if using oven]

2. Sift flour into medium bowl, stir in sugar.

3. In separate bowl combine yogurt, egg, milk, apples and topping, then add to flour mixture. Stir gently until just combine, there may be flour pockets and some lumps, but that is ok.

4. Spoon mixture into pans and microwave on high for 6-7 minutes. Serve with extra topping.
[cook in oven for 15-20 minutes or until a light golden brown]

Enjoy! :)

7 comments:

jen said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmy Muffins Rae, which cookbook or any chance of the recipe pretty please?? Sounds like a great breakky for me and only 1 point, wowwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Thanks, mwahhhhhh, Jen

Mel said...

Hi Rae, just checking in on you, glad to see you are so happy with your calcium intake now! I know that every now and again, all I want to drink is a big cup of milk, must take me back to when I was younder and used to drink it like it was going out of fashion. Good luck for this week, hope your body enjoys its week of downtime,
Mel

Ails said...

It's it great to find something as simple as a carton of milk and know that it will greatly help/improve your life. I'm a big fan of muffins - I buy those low-fat White Wings packet deals on the odd occasion, easy to make and mega delish.

I know how disheartening it can be when you eat well and exercise regularly and you aren't rewarded with a lower number on the scales. It does make you feel that you aren't going anywhere. It's at these times that I look at other ways in which I am changing - I'm more fit, happier, healthier and the centimetres are melting away. You've done such an amazing job to lose 14.6kgs so far, but sometimes the body just needs some time to adjust to these changes before more weight will shift. Anyway, I hope your long weekend continues to go smoothly. Take care Rae, Ails x

Carol said...

Hi Rae

Great blog, great read and wonderful recipes - very inspirational.

You and I are the same height and nearly the same start weight - I can't weight to lose a few more kilos and look as wonderful as you!

Tasz

Anonymous said...

so good lite soy is nice but i cant have maltodextrins so i have natures soy and its beautiful - try it.

Berrie said...

Hey Rae that milk is wonderful my youngest has that as soy milk strains her kidneys too much and she swears by it...keep doing what you are doing sweetie and thanks for the recipe darl sounds devine...
Berrie xxxx

stevierose said...

wow fantastic rae..you are such an inspiration, I read everything and found it very helpful, right to the muffins and the milk suggestions

excellent!

I have a healthy BMI!! WOOT! WWGW of 65kgs acheived Sept 2009.

On the way to the 50's...